Logging of data is an important aspect if you are running an online business.
You certainly want to keep a record of everything going on with your website.
Just like all kinds of logs, email logs are essential as they help you keep track of all the emails sent through your WordPress site.
In this tutorial, I’ll show you how you can log your email with WordPress using the WP Mail SMTP plugin so that you can check them anytime you want.
Need to Log Emails
You must be wondering why is it really important to log the emails that are already sent? There are numerous advantages to this approach.
- Keep track of notification emails: If your site sends notification emails to all the team members, then email logging is helpful in keeping track of the email deliverability.
- Detailed insights: You can check when your emails were sent out so that you can make sure your team has received the emails on time.
- Organize workflow: If you distribute various responsibilities among your team using emails, then it is very easy to keep track of all the tasks via all the emails sent.
Setup WordPress Email Logs
Now when you finally know the importance of email logging in WordPress, let’s get started with the process of setting it up.
Step #1. Install and activate WP Mail SMTP plugin
Simply install and activate the WP Mail SMTP plugin.
With WP Mail SMTP, a dedicated team is always there to help you with the setup or even set up everything for you.
Step #2. Enable WordPress Logs
Now that the plugin is activated, it is time to enable email logs.
Head over to your WordPress dashboard and go to WP Mail SMTP » Settings. Then, go to the Email Log tab.
In the Email Log tab, you’ll see an Enable Log option. Check the box next to it.
This option will keep a record of every email sent out from your website. The recorded logs will include:
- Email Status (if the email is sent or not)
- Date and Time (of the sent email)
- Subject Line
- Recipient Email Address(es) (including CC and BCC)
- From Email
- Number of Attachments
- Mailer Options Used
- Additional Technical Details (such as content-type, MIME, etc.)
Once the Enable Log option is checked, another option will appear named Log Email Content.
The Log Email Content option will keep a record of the content of the emails sent from your site. It is your personal preference if you want to enable this option or not.
Finally, click the Save Settings button to enable WordPress email logging using the WP Mail SMTP plugin.
Step #3. Check WordPress Email Logs
To check the email logs recorded by WP Mail SMTP, simply go to WP Mail SMTP » Email Log from the WordPress dashboard sidebar.
Here you can see all the emails sent by your WordPress site.
To check the detailed information of a particular email, click the subject of that mail and it will open a detailed log.
Successful Setup of WordPress Email Logs
That’s all! You’ve successfully set up and viewed email logs in your WordPress site using the WP Mail SMTP plugin.
So what are you waiting for? Get started with WP Mail SMTP as this single plugin is an all in one solution to every email related issue in your WordPress site.