Not everyone can have or afford a credit card, especially the students or newly employed. So, what if someone with no credit card wants to buy something online that can be bought using a credit card only? Typical right? A lot of such stuff include game cards, game licenses, Netflix subscription, website hosting, domain names etc.
A prepaid virtual credit card comes at the rescue in this situation.
What is a Virtual Credit Card (VCC)?
A Virtual Credit Card or VCC is an electronically generated credit card that can be used in the online world only. It has no physical significance. The purpose is simple, to make the online purchases that typically require a credit card for a successful transaction.
Following are the important properties of Virtual Credit Cards:
- Virtual credit cards only work online: as explained above, you can’t use a VCC in the real world where a card with physical form is required.
- You can install a VCC on your computer or phone: as VCCs don’t have any physical form, they can be installed or used on any device including your computer, smartphone, or tablet.
- You can use a Virtual Credit Card for monthly payments: if you have bought something that requires monthly payments i.e. subscription-based services, then VCCs can be your savior if you don’t have a real credit card.
- You can set limits for different merchant: Unlike a traditional credit card that has a limit set by your bank, a VCC can have a limit specified by you for a particular merchant. That’s really helpful if you want to avoid any kind of additional amount charged by the merchant on your card.
- You can decide when your Virtual Credit Card will expire: yes, you read that right. Virtual Credit Cards don’t have a long expiry date. You can set it to expire in a few hours, days, weeks, or even months as per your needs.
Kotak Mahindra Bank Virtual Credit Card
There are tons of VCC provider on the web. Entropay is the highly used and most trusted VCC on the web and doesn’t even require you to have a bank account with them. But the problem is that almost every major marketplace has banned Entropay VCCs on their sites.
The same happened with me a few days back. I wanted to buy a domain from Godaddy. Couldn’t use my credit card because it already reached its monthly limit. Anyway, I created an Entropay VCC, credited the card with some funds and entered its details on Godaddy’s site. Godaddy clearly rejected the card even after multiple attempts from my side.
The problem is that online marketplaces don’t trust the concept of VCCs because it makes credit cards too mainstream.
For Indian buyers, Kotak Mahindra Bank is the best bet to solve this issue. There are other VCC providers too in India including Paytm Bank, Airtel Payments Bank, Pockets, HDFC PayZapp etc. But the problem with them is that they only provide you with one VCC that is kind of permanent. You can’t change their limit or put an early expiry date on it. That makes them only one time usable on any site where you get some kind of benefits or deals on your first purchase.
For that purpose, Kotak is the best solution. It has a feature in your net banking account with the name “Netcard” which is a virtual visa card.
Kotak Netcard is an online virtual credit card, created through your existing debit account through net banking.
Generate Unlimited Kotak Virtual Credit Cards or Netcards
Below is a step-by-step procedure along with proper screenshots:
Go to Kotak.com and log on to your net banking account using your login ID (CRN) or Nickname and password.
Once you are logged in, click on the “More” tab in the main menu and then click on “Netcard” tab.
After that, you will receive an OTP at your registered mobile number. Enter it to start generating your Netcard.
Enter the Virtual Credit Cardholder name, select the account from which you wish to draw funds for creating Netcard, maximum funds limit, and then click “Go” to generate your Kotak VCC.
It will then withdraw funds equivalent to the limit you entered while generating the Netcard from your savings or 811 account.
Note: You need to have sufficient amount in your debit card account else your VCC won’t get generated.
Finally, after a successful generation, you’ll be provided with a Virtual Credit Card with all the details including Card Number, Expiry Date, CVV (Security Code), and Card Limit.
Now you have all the necessary information to make your online purchases using your newly generated VCC.
You can create as many VCCs as you want by following the same procedure. You can also delete your Netcard if you don’t plan on using it.
Things To Keep In Mind
- Kotak Netcards are for one time online use only. Once you use them, they become unusable.
- In case you have some amount left in your VCC after the transaction, it will automatically get credited to your savings account after in 24-48 hours.
- Kotak Netcards are meant for online transactions only. It can’t be used in case of any offline transaction that requires a physical card.
- Your Netcard expires after its first use. That means to reuse or adding of funds is not possible.
Access to online resources is everyone’s right. But sometimes credit card limitation keep you from having that access. The irony is that the majority of gamers are high school students and most of them don’t have a credit card. This simple trick will help you to generate as many Kotak VCCs as you want and make the purchase of Steam games, gift cards, Netflix subscriptions, and website tools etc. This trick is applicable on both local and international transactions.
Hope you found it useful. Feel free to share it with your friends and family. Also, if you need any help related to this process then feel free to ask it in the comments section below. I’ll be more than happy to assist you. Cheers!